Thursday, March 31, 2011

TURBO

Hopped a bus south to Pranburi thinking that'd be a good idea... Not so much but luckily some locals picked us up where the bus ditched us and took us toward the sea to a sleepy little town called Baan Phu Noi in the province of Pranburi. A little pricey but really nice. I imagine it picks up quite a bit in the high season. It's been a little overcast lately which is odd for Thailand, it's actually flooding in the south (where we're supposed to be heading) and the Navy's evacuating the islands. Nothing life threatening by any means, but the roads are unpassable. Spent the last couple of days exploring everything we possibly could :) Rented a motorbike (I want one!!) and zoomed through the Khao Sam Roi Yot National Park to go spelunking. For those of you unaware, that's cave exploring :) It's a little odd driving full speed down the "wrong" side of the road but awesome at the same time. Hiked out to Tham Phraya Nakhom, a cave dedicated to a past King of Thailand. Created by two huge sinkholes the cavern is incredibly large. In the center sits a temple thats astounding when the light shines in. The beach below, Hat Laem Sala was over ridden with beautiful shells. I wish I could have kept them all! I contemplated dumping out my first aid kit to fit some in but Levi talked me out of it... bummer. Next, Tham Kaew. Rented torches from a local on the side of the road and dove into the center of the mountain. Crystal stalactites and stalagmites everywhere. Insane! Cavern after cavern... bat after bat... and a huge scorpion. Levi, being the monkey he is, climbed everything he could. It was only after I encountered the scorpion were we a little more leary. Today, we hit the sea. Our guesthouse had kayaks and even though the sea was a bit rough we took off. Destionation- Monkey Island. (Levi fit right in haha) The name was totally fitting, monkey awaited us. I would use the term "cute" here but I'm not totally sure it's fitting... They're cute until they pick at each other and eat it. Or, if you're Levi, one poops on you! One tried to steal my camera bag which turned out unsuccessful so it then moved on to trying to undo my shorts! Then it bit me. No longer cute. We hopped back in the kayaks, determined to battle the wind and paddle around the island. Hard work! I'll be sore tomorrow! I must say, I'm pretty proud of us, we only flipped once and it was about 20 ft from shore, those waves are big! Now, we're back in Hua Hin for at least tonight, not sure of the next plan... I've got my fingers crossed that the rain down south clears up so we can head that way soon. Miss you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment