Monday, March 28, 2011

Good food.

So we decided to crash a family reunion in Samut Songkhram. Turned out to be a great idea! We went to a traditional floating market on the Meklong River, lined with vendors and houses on stilts. So pretty... Jumped in a long tail boat for a tour out of the hustle and bustle of the crowd. It looked like Christmas lights in the trees... nope. Fireflies! I love fireflies! Once back at Nan's house her family, who was really friendly, made us a feast. King prawns, steamed mussels, Thai omelet, prawns and noodles, panang curry... oh, and whiskey, can't forget the whiskey! The next morning, her whole family, us included went nearby to a wat (temple) for the reunion of some of her passed family members. The Buddhist monks, lined up in a row, chanted their prayers in unison. Then came the individual memorial. Each family has their own shrine where the ashes are kept and upon each visit they bring gifts for them to use in the afterlife. One by one they burn them... Interesting concept. Then we feasted again. SO delicious! I'm very well fed in this country :) Took off for Cha 'am, a bit further south to meet up with our friend Vid. Finally the sea! The weather turned a bit cloudy and colder (I actually had to wear long sleeves!) but the water was still sooo warm! Five minutes on the beach and a few locals came up asking to take their picture with me... I think I stick out like a sore thumb. More food. Then a four person bike ride. Then more food. The next day, today, we arrived in Hua Hin, also on the coast. The King of Thailand lives here, though I believe he's sick right now so he's in Bangkok at the hospital. Great town though. TONS of markets! Spent most of the day wandering around numerous markets and resisting the urge to buy all the food I couldn't figure out what it was. Lucky for us, Nan was still with us so I learned a lot :) Currently sitting in an internet cafe while Levi says weird words in Erdu next to me... I'm exhausted so off to bed soon :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sophie and Levi, WOW! What an impressive experience you are having! I think it is very sweet that people want their picture taken with you...I am sure that your red hair and fair skin are more than unique to Thai folks! This trip seems so much more involved with the local folk than S. America was. That is really neat! Art and I are envious, but we are thoroughly enjoying Utah. Still in Moab and hiking daily. We love, love, love the rocks! Found a cool place to rock climb too! Please enjoy every moment of your trip. We are loving the journal entries! Love to you and Levi! Think sunscreen!! Love Mom and Art oxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete